Social Worker- EDNY
The Federal Defenders of New York in the Eastern District (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Long Island) seeks two social work interns to support lawyers, investigators, and mitigation specialists in our Brooklyn and Central Islip offices.
Responsibilities of the social work intern include, but are not limited to:
- work on interdisciplinary defense teams to investigate allegations of federal criminal conduct, and possible defenses to that conduct, and prepare written mitigation materials for court proceedings and alternative dispositions;
- provide support to the social work practice;
- conduct assessments, develop service plans, and provide client‑centered support, referrals, crisis intervention and case management assistance to clients;
- propose alternatives to incarceration where appropriate and work with clients in the Eastern District’s alternative/experimental courts;
- develop, assess and maintain referral and service resources with service providers;
- advocate for clients who face difficulties while incarcerated;
- consult with outside treatment providers, probation officers, psychologists and psychiatrists, attorneys and Federal Bureau of Prisons staff;
- supervise social work masters level students around client assignments, clinical issues, procedures and the intersections of legal issues within holistic, harm‑reduction models; and
- travel to NYC jails and detention facilities.
- humility and flexibility
- demonstrated experience in the application of traditional social work advocacy and clinical skills within a strengths-based approach to working with and supporting clients
- experience in the application of knowledge and engagement in dialogue around race, implicit bias, power & oppression
- ability to work at least two 8-hour days during office hours, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.
- experience applying a client-centered & holistic approach to legal representation
- experience working within one or more of the following:
- criminal defense (federal, state or capital defense)
- civil defense (family court on behalf of clients charged with abuse or neglect, housing court on behalf of clients facing eviction, immigration on behalf of clients facing deportation)
- impact litigation (human rights, Section 1983 litigation)
- fluency in language(s) other than English.
Qualifications desired (but not required):
Qualified persons should e‑mail a cover letter, resume, 2-page writing sample to NYE_SocialWorkerApplication@fd.org, 2019.Please state "social work intern" in the subject line.
This is an unpaid internship, education credit provided with school agreement in place. Interns will be provided with MTA travel.
Find us at www.federaldefendersny.org. Federal Defenders is an equal opportunity employer.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.